Mary Butler Chapter, Laconia, New Hampshire, has over the years placed historical markers.|
FIRST SCHOOL HOUSE. Site of early school house (1806-1892). By
mid-19th century, this one room school served more than 60 pupils
who attended in late summer, late fall, and winter, so that they could
work on the farms during planting and harvesting months. In 1854 it
was rebuilt but in 1892 it was abandoned when a new school was
opened in the village proper. Located on east side of School House Hill
Road, one mile from junction of Route 11A east and Belknap Mountain Road. Memorial
granite pillar with bronze plaque erected on the site by Mary Butler
Chapter DAR and the Thompson-Ames Historical Society.
In 1855 while the school was in use, the Town of Gilford had a population of 2,425 citizens along with 2,209 sheep
and 257 horses and mules.
The Eastman Cabin|
Site of cabin of Lt. Ebenezer and
Mary (Butler) Eastman. Located off Route 140 between Gilmanton and
Belmont, NH. On road known as Mary Butler’s Lane on Eastman
Farm. By horseback, Mary (Butler) Eastman rode with her infant
son from her home in the wilderness to Cambridge, MA to learn
the fate of her husband after the Battle of Bunker Hill in 1775.
Under Stark and Gilman, 22 NH militia companies had taken a very
vital and active role in the battle. Lt. Eastman, who had led a group of
volunteers from Gilmanton, survived the Battle.
To locate, take Route 106 south from Laconia, turn east on Route 140 towards
Gilmanton. Travel 3.2 miles and on left is Mary Butler Lane. About 100
yards in on this dirt lane (on right side of path) is the Mary Butler
Boulder with a white fence. If coming on Route 107 to Gilmanton Corner,
junction of 107 and 140 take Route 140 west. Just past Allen Mills Road on the
right is Mary Butler Lane. Memorial granite boulder with bronze
plaque placed by Mary Butler Chapter DAR. The chapter also acquired
title to the land where the marker was placed. In 1963 trust fund set
up by the chapter with town of Gilmanton for permanent care of
Mary Butler Homesite and Mary Butler Cemetery. See also Copp Cemetery.
Source: NHDAR History 1930, p.217-8 (photo).
This boulder marks the site
of the log cabin of
Lieut. Ebenezer Eastman
and his wife
At the time of the
Battle of Bunker Hill
Placed by Mary Butler Chapter D.A.R. Laconia
Mary Butler Chapter's Real Daughter Marker
Janette Sherman McMurphy was the daughter of Reuben Sherman, who served in RI. She married Henry McMurphy and is buried in the Hillside Cemetery in Lakeport NH.
She was a member of Mary Butler Chapter.
This is a picture of Janette Sherman McMurphy and her husband Henry with their children.
For more information on our real daughter
“The Weirs.” Here also was the large Indian village of Aquedoctan,
which occupied the site until the spring of 1696. Tons of fish were
dried and smoked at these winter headquarters. The hills at their back
gave protection from the prevailing northwest winds, and the wide shallow
channel forming the outlet of the lake was where upright wooden fish weirs
trapped the fish.
Memorial bronze marker placed on northeast side of the bridge in 1935 by
Mary Butler Chapter DAR. It faces Endicott Rock and the Channel
and marks the site of Indian fish weirs at Aquedoctan, as well as the
site of an Old Block House.
Below in the Channel
Site of Indian Fish Weirs
To the right
Site of Aquedoctan
Indian Village – 1652
To the left
Site of Log Block House
Built by the First White Men
This Tablet erected by
Mary Butler Chapter D.A.R.
Sources: NHDAR History 1930-40, p.68, Indian History by Solon B.
Colby. 1975, p.119-20.
LIBERTY POLE MARKER
At the time of the War of 1812, a tall flag pole,
called a Liberty Pole, was erected at the crest of Liberty Hill in
Gilford. Proceed from Union Ave. in Laconia via Gilford Ave. (Route
11A East) At the next traffic light on Gilford Avenue, turn right onto Country Club Road. Take the first left onto Liberty Hill Road. The marker is just past High View Circle on the right at the crest of the hill.
Sources: Gunstock Parish a History of Gilford, NH Phoenix, 1995, p.
NHDAR Hist.1970-92, p.75
This stone marks the site of the Liberty Pole
Erected circa 1776 by Revolutionary Patriots
A Symbol of their resistance to oppression
and their resolution to be free and independent
Placed here by the Mary Butler Chapter N.S.D.A.R.
The Thompson Ames Historical Society of Gilford
(Not part of the inscription) Liberty poles were erected in many towns as a symbol of our
dedication to the cause of independence.
The content contained herein does not necessarily represent the position of the NSDAR. Hyperlinks to other sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters.